Quartek Group Inc. is seeking a well organized and self-motivated CIVIL ENGINEERING DESIGNER to join our growing team in St. Catharines, Ontario. Quartek is a vibrant and growing business delivering engineering, architectural and planning solutions on a variety of residential, commercial, institutional and industrial projects in both the public and private sectors.
If you are the successful candidate, you will report to the Manager of Civil Engineering. You will, through education and training, as well as some experience, preferably in Ontario, have at least a basic understanding of municipal servicing infrastructure including roadways and active transportation, water supply and sanitary sewerage, site grading, storm drainage and stormwater management. Further, you will have a working knowledge of AutoDesk Civil 3D. Above all, you will have the willingness and aptitude to learn such skills as are necessary to undertake drafting and design for the provision of high quality civil engineering solutions to real world problems. As a member of the Quartek team, you will be able to prioritize and schedule tasks. The role requires the ability to build strong direct rapport with other professional disciplines, as well as assume the responsibility of delivering accurate, complete and high-quality work. This role will provide you with an opportunity to develop as a civil engineering technologist or EIT, and will also allow you to work towards developing unique skills in integrated design.
Role and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) or senior designer, and subject to adequate training where applicable, you will:
- assist with preparation and quality control of drawings for review, approvals, tender and construction;
- carry out or assist with topographic survey;
- provide a supporting role in the preparation of designs, cost estimates, and solutions;
- assist with coordination of sub-consultants’ activity on projects;
- assist with preparation and review of written technical reports including, but not limited to, functional servicing reports, conceptual and detailed design, and servicing studies;
- assist with preparation of contract documents;
- visit sites and perform site review journaling;
- assist with construction / contract administration, construction review, scheduling, budgeting, tendering and project management tasks;
- complete and deliver assigned tasks/projects on budget and within identified schedules;
- assist with the preparation of proposals to procure new projects;
- engage in a collaborative work environment with your team, as well as other design disciplines;
- ensure adherence to established policies, procedures and duties specified under the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
As the successful candidate, you will bring the following to the position:
- an undergraduate degree or 3-year Diploma in Civil Engineering from an accredited post-secondary institution;
- engagement in the process of acquiring Professional Engineer designation with PEO or Certified Engineering Technologist designation with OACETT;
- 1+ years of progressive experience in designing municipal infrastructure (is an asset);
- experience in designing infrastructure projects in Ontario (is an asset);
- understanding of topographic survey procedures and methods (is an asset);
- proficiency in use of MS Office productivity applications;
- working knowledge of Civil 3D;
- excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language;
- desire to learn and grow;
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- results oriented outlook and ability to work under pressure;
- ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently and accommodate shifting priorities;
- strong work ethic and positive team attitude;
- sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills;
- development of mature problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills;
- effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy;
- high level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability;
- valid driver’s license and personal vehicle;
- willingness to travel occasionally to fulfill work assignments;
- subject to the terms of the employment contract, willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evening and or weekend work in order to meet project deadlines.
Why Join Our Team?
Quartek offers a relaxed, friendly and collaborative work environment, as well as great opportunity for growth and career advancement, and has been recognized as a top local employer by the Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce. Our size enables staff to be involved in and gain experience in numerous aspects of the design and construction phases of a wide variety of project scales and types.
Our offices are located in the revitalized downtown of St. Catharines within the beautiful Niagara Peninsula, with its moderate climate, wineries and craft breweries, burgeoning culinary reputation, historic areas, many active recreation opportunities, Niagara Falls attractions, Niagara-on-the-Lake charm and much more. In addition, we are within an hour’s drive of the cultural, entertainment and professional sports amenities of Toronto, Ontario, and Buffalo, N.Y.
Apply to this Position:
To apply to this position please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the position for which you are applying. We appreciate all interested submissions, but only qualified candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
As part of Quartek’s commitment to accessibility, we will provide assistance to applicants who request accommodation throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please contact email@example.com with your request.